Saturday, April 18, 2009

More Reason to Avoid Corn Syrup

Extra Stuff in HF Corn Syrup

Besides being sugary, high fructose corn syrup is contaminated with mercury. Yes, you read it right - 50% of the high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) has mercury in it.

Mercury is one of the most toxic natural elements. It can be absorbed through the skin and once swallowed by volatile means (chewing with silver amalgam fillings), or digesting food containing mercury, can be absorbed into our tissues.

According to studies done in 2005, one-third of all foods containing HFCS have mercury contamination. What’s worse is that the FDA was aware of this issue in 2001, and has not reported this finding. There has been no testing or regulation put into place by the FDA for the manufacturing of HFCS.

Read the Entire Article at

1 comment:

  1. When I heard of this study, that nearly half of the samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup that were tested contained mercury, my jaw dropped! I product that is virtually in the majority of foods Americans eat is contaminated with something that is lethal. Although the study does not say what percentage of mercury is found in these samples, it is still worrisome. As you said above, little food children eat do not contain high-fructose corn syrup. In a day, a child is eating a large amount of products with high-fructose corn syrup that could add up to be a huge amount of mercury. What I find amusing about information the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy has found, there is something wrong with high-fructose corn syrup unlike the commercials they are advertising on television.